Thursday, October 6, 2011

My Heart Is So Happy

My heart is so glad when I see someone loving my child. In a way it's like saying they think I'm pretty cool too, by extension. It can happen when my friend comes to love on her at her first birthday party or just because it's been too long between visits. It can happen at the playground when we bring extra snacks and give out extra cuddles just because there is more than enough love for everyone. But when love is lavished on my child by family? That's when my soul is still knowing the depth of the connection between us.

Tim's middle brother and his wife were in town last weekend so there was a lot of family time. Oh! We miss them so!

Photobucket


It's been almost a year since we've all hung out and Ada is a totally different being now than she was then. She's is at the most fun age yet - she's interactive but still wants to snuggle. Ugh, it's so much fun! And she's so smart. Even though it was a whole year ago that they were here it seemed as if she knew them! She played shy just long enough to put on a show but it didn't last long. Pretty soon she was glued to her uncle's lap. She's the same way with her uncle Colin, who lives much closer so she sees him much more often. Does some deeper side of her just know intuitively that she can trust her daddy's brothers a hundred percent?

Photobucket


Ada was up way past her bedtime (three nights in a row). They played games like "blow-out-the-battery-operated-candle"

Photobucket


A cork became a pair of glasses and she learned how to say "Aunt Stet-a-tie", which made her aunt squeal with pride and delight. Long after we parted ways on Friday night she kept saying, "Bye bye Stet-a-tie"

Photobucket


There was rough-housing too, which made Ada squeal with delight.

Photobucket

Photobucket
I love the chaos in this picture. It's the Shepherd way. 


And so many kisses for everyone

Photobucket


But really, Ada spent every night this past weekend cuddled up to her uncle.
Friday night:
Photobucket

Saturday night:
Photobucket

Sunday night:
Photobucket


Which was all fine by me because my kid thrives on love and attention from people who love her. And there is nothing in this world I want more than for my kid to be happy. I wish we were closer so that we could see them more often and that Ada could grow up seeing them more often. These are the times when I get all day-dreamy for the time long ago when people still lived near each other. We have phone calls and FaceTime and said goodbye on Sunday night with tentative plans for Easter. That will have to do for now.

Meanwhile, the Blue Angels have arrived in town. I look forward to this weekend all year long. Ada was all mouth wide open and eyes huge when she saw the F18s fly over today so fast and loud. We're off to a good start this weekend. Everyone enjoy!!

2 Lovies:

Unknown said...

Love it! She's such a happy girl and clearly loves her uncle.

And Fleer Week always reminds me of working in the Financial District. Good times.

Shell said...

What a fun family visit!