Friday, July 29, 2011

Thinkers and Do-ers

My friend Robin once pointed out that I am a thinker. Andy, a boy I was sort of seeing at the time, was a do-er. This is why Andy and me weren't going to work out, according to Robin. I can come up with about a hundred other reasons why we didn't work out but that's a different story not worth the telling. She was on to something though - I am a thinker.

My favorite time to think is right when I wake up. I like to shake off the haze of sleep and lay there for a while just thinking about all sorts of things. Running is another good opportunity to think. On an airplane, while sewing, riding the bus, in yoga class, while hiking, laying flat on my back gazing up at a tree....I can dive deep, deep into a long string of thoughts and weave elaborate, detailed stories. Sometimes it's productive and other times it isn't. Regardless, just being able to go "there" mentally is the biggest, flattest stepping stone there is when it comes to creative problem solving and working on a dream.

Photobucket

I can be a do-er too - I'm multi-faceted like that. Usually this comes in the form of painting the whole house or crafting a name banner. Striking a balance between doing and thinking is healthy. Lately I've had to spend more time doing. Some tasks have lunged into the priority position due to their urgency (taxes, IUI arrangements). Others are just the way it is - Monday while at work I had the nanny on my cell phone in one hand and a transferred phone call from a client in the other. Tuesday found me literally running as I tried to get a fractured hip to the surgeon by 11:00 as one appointment was wrapping up and my next two were waiting for me.

I get itchy if I don't have time to think. August will be the month to work on this a little bit more. I get to take a photography class so expect a lot of that to be posted.


************

Grandma Judy is in town. Well, not in our town. She is over in Oakland. I'm telling you, Grandparent land is magical. My daughter is over-the-moon for her Grandmother and Judy sent me a text that read, "I just love Ada!" Mmmmm....me too. Yesterday we took Ada to Fairyland in Oakland. I can imagine that back in the day this nursery-rhyme-themed park was pretty awesome. It's still awesome but in a "vintage" way. Ada didn't care. She thought this place was invented solely for her enjoyment. Grandma Judy and I couldn't find a good reason to correct her.

Photobucket

I'm just going to post the pictures from this little trip: her joy and the love between her and her Grandmother just pours from every image.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

The whole day was really fun and super exhausting. Ada was in bed before 8:00 and I followed her, passing out at 8:30.

Ada got a trike from Grandma Judy and Grandpa Steve. By the way, Grandpa Steve is a retired Navy pilot so Ada's obsession with "da-choo" (helicopter) is a dream come true for him. He sent her 4 little helicopters! Now, if she tuns out to be left-handed she will have won his heart for sure! Anyway, the trike is a big hit. We sent the first one back because we couldn't steer it. Wouldn't want her careening into the Lexus's and Mercedes on our street. We can't afford the repairs and I don't know if our car insurance covers trike accidents.

Photobucket
Shortly after Ada practiced her bad-ass bike riding stance, this group of about 600 cyclists came up and over our street. Why? It's San Francisco. There is always someone to champion some cause or another. July was National Ice Cream month but something tells me that wasn't their cause.

Photobucket
The view from my front window. I didn't want to go out there. All these guys were in their fancy cycling gear...resting after riding up the hill we live at the top of. I thought that was kind of ironic and funny. 


We're off to rest, regroup, and re-establish our routine. Happy weekend.

Photobucket