Saturday, September 11, 2010

Wack-a-doodle-doo

The past 48 hours have been just like I like 'em: sweet and full of wholesome goodness. Tonight I zipped Ada up in her sleepsack to get her to bed and I caught a glance of her - just a flash - as a little girl. The metamorphosis is jaw-dropping: 2 years ago I wasn't even pregnant, then she was a newborn, then an infant, now a toddler, and soon she'll be a little girl. I'm stopping there because I'm just not prepared yet to go beyond.

In the meantime, I'm savoring each moment, including the ones like Friday night. On this particular night my daughter was acting like a crazed lunatic! She was clingy and wiggly - not like her. We danced to the Budos Band and she belly-laughed. Hard to be frustrated with that.
Tim was so late at work - maybe the latest night of his residency that I recall. Rough day - flushed his pager down the toilet and lost his wedding ring. Bummer. He was telling me the story as he was walking home at 10:00 at night. As he was leading up to it with phrases like "double gloved" I was sure he was going to tell me much worse news. In fact, that's the way to break it! I wasn't mad at all, I was grateful that it wasn't a needle stick. That would be bad for obvious reasons but it would also really slow down a little brother or sister for Ada. 

While Tim was looking through biohazard waste for the complete titanium circle that represents our vows to each other, I was sewing. Lots of babies = lots of handmade blankets. I have gotten pretty damn good at this, if I do say so myself.

Photobucket

Tim decided that it would be funny to see if we could still swaddle Ada. Tim was a master swaddler in his day and that baby responded like a fish on a hook - a Daddy's girl was born right then and there. Well, it's not quite like the day we brought her home but it was hysterical nonetheless.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Earlier that day, Ada and I went over to visit Erika and her family. I love Erika - she's smart, hysterical, and just a good human being all around. Besides all of this, she gives me a new perspective - she says things like, "Oh, yeah. It's like mayhem around here all the time. Total chaos. Did I tell you about the time Ike flushed a truck down the toilet?" She's a good Mom - the kind of Mom I hope to be one day. Bonus - she lives literally around the corner (well, three corners if you want to get all technical about it) but you have to go down, and then up, this brutal hill. Who needs Buns of Steel when you have the nauseating pitch of Duboce...

Photobucket

a couple pics. Sweet Frankie, only 18 days older than Ada, was stark naked most of the visit. While I do have cute pictures I don't want to get arrested. Ike was having a good time being a big brother to the babies...so sweet. I can't wait to see Ada as a big sister. I just can't see that love doing anything but multiplying exponentially.

Photobucket


Saturday morning we did what we often do - a long, lazy, late breakfast. Ada and I walked down to the corner store to get all the stuff for breakfast. This is one thing I love about the city. We have a corner store. And the people who own that store? They know us. We even have an account there. Ada and I chatted with one of the owners - he has a 6 week old baby girl at home. He let Ada take the Twix bar that she insisted on carrying around the store with her. This mama had her sights on something far more intriguing. Who is the genius who came up with this?

Photobucket


Of course, I didn't feed this to my child. In fact, I wouldn't have shared with anyone if I didn't have to. Instead, I made her eat cantaloupe for breakfast:

Photobucket


While that sweet one slept with a belly full of melon, I was off to the fabric store. What a treat to go by myself. Last time we were there she didn't know what to get into first. I spent the whole trip chasing after her and putting things back on the shelves...I love her curiosity but it wipes me out. A loner visit was a good change of pace. It also gave me time to look at the $1.00 aisle, which, incidentally, was actually the $0.69 aisle today. When I brought these home Tim looked at me and said, "What in the hell are those for?" So I said, "I'm planning ahead. Next year she'll be 2 years old and she might want to color these." It made perfect sense to me. Her and her little friends can color some funky little Halloween things. Fun, right?

Photobucket


There was also an awesome package of clothes from Grandma Judy and Great-Grandma Alice. It's so fun to watch Ada go through these things. It's even more fun to see the combinations the nanny comes up with

Photobucket

Photobucket


We walked down to Cole Valley and then down into the Haight. It's fun to do this - we live in a place where people come to visit for a vacation. Crazy. And I sometimes forget what a cool place we live in. It really is cool too. In fact, I remember whenever Tim and I first moved here. We sat one night at Magnolia just beaming at each other across the table and saying, "We live in San Francisco. We're locals now." So we went back to Magnolia today. As with most things, it wasn't quite like old times - in fact that last time we were in there I was super pregnant. Now, Daddy helped our former-fetus to drink from a glass and Mommy taught her that the arugala that comes with the Devils on Horseback (figs stuffed with chevre and wrapped in bacon) is really good.

Photobucket

Photobucket


On the way home Ada insisted on walking home on her own. It's an 18% grade up this road. She's a beast.  I love how tall Tim is compared to her.

Photobucket

She was sure to crawl up the really steep parts (of a driveway):

Photobucket

Then she got tired and hitched a ride:

Photobucket


If you are so inclined, please say a little prayer that this week is better than last. I'll do the same.