Tuesday, July 6, 2010

4 Days of July 4th

I spent a lot of time this weekend thinking about balance. Thinking about how it's been a long time since I felt like I was really doing well at something. Thinking about how when I chose to focus on one thing, something else gets neglected. I'm a believer in Stephen Covey's big rock, little rock theory but it's been a good, long time since I've thought about my "Big Rocks".
Big rock number one is my marriage.
Big rock number two is my daughter.
So that's where I started.


Thursday afternoon found Ada & I doing the only sensible thing to do on a warm, sunny afternoon in San Francisco: spreading a blanket in the panhandle off Golden Gate Park under the shimmering shade of the great eucalyptus trees.

Photobucket

Photobucket



Ada & I also spent a good deal of time walking with Tim either to or from work. During these walks Tim & I  brainstormed how we can create more time together. Sadly, my first rock has been neglected lately and I am feeling unnaturally needy for my husband. With our work schedules we get one day a week as a family: Saturday. This day is becoming sacred - fiercely protected. Dates are wonderful but, quite frankly, expensive (babysitting, cab, dinner, etc.) so we carried on with the brainstorming. Ada was blissfully hanging out in the stroller, just pleased to be with us and knowing that life is just as it should be.

Photobucket

Saturday brought weekend visitors!! Melissa & Dan came for the 4th. They stayed with their 3 dogs and one of their cats in a downtown hotel....on the 29th floor! An amazing view, but more on that later. Tim is so thrilled to use his Father's Day gift and I am thrilled to have someone else do the cookin'!! I love it :-)
The night was a rare one atop our hill: the air was still, the temperature was almost warm, and the fog decided to not roll in. So we had a picnic on the back deck amongst our little container garden. So beautiful and special...by the end Melissa and I were wrapped up in old quilts. It was one of those times when you aren't exactly comfortable but don't dare change a thing as it might disrupt the magic of the moment.

Photobucket

Ada met Millhouse and the cats met a dog for the first time.

Photobucket

More chalk drawings. I can tell you this much is certain, the $3.53 I spent on that can of blackboard spray paint was the best money I spent in a while. I see this idea following us where we go for a long, long time. So much fun to see the artwork people leave behind for us!

Photobucket



Sunday morning in the garden after eggs and toast. I went through Ada's clothes again. I'll take some to consign. My little weed :)


Photobucket


More grilling, napping, snuggling, laughing, talking, hanging out. Love old friends...

 Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
I love the look on Melissa's face here: like she is so grossed out! I don't know how that can be? The Kushi's were delicious!!Besides, I have seen this woman with her arm in a cow's asshole up to her shoulder and cracking up about it..

Photobucket

Photobucket



We went to the 29th floor stunning hotel room to watch the fireworks. A bust. Would've been a great show if it weren't for all the fog. A few low ones could be seen but the rest were above the fog line so that all we saw was a faint red or green or white glow. I think this must be so demoralizing for the person/people who plan that show. Imagine all that work and planning and no one sees it! We watched the NYC fireworks on TV instead. My wee one stayed up way, way past her bedtime. We all went straight to bed when we got home. First, Ada left her hand print on the 29th floor...

Photobucket